Learn about Chittenango, NY
Chittenango, located in Madison County, New York, is a small town with a rich history and cultural heritage. Known for its charming atmosphere and friendly community, Chittenango is a hidden gem in Upstate New York. Here are the top five facts and unique things about this fascinating town:
- The birthplace of L. Frank Baum: Chittenango is the birthplace of the famous author L. Frank Baum, who wrote “The Wizard of Oz.” Baum was born in the town on May 15, 1856, and his childhood home is now a museum dedicated to his life and work.
- The Chittenango Falls: The town is named after the stunning Chittenango Falls, which is a 167-foot waterfall located in the center of the town. The falls are a popular tourist attraction and offer stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
- The Oz-Stravaganza!: Chittenango is also home to the annual Oz-Stravaganza! festival, which is a celebration of all things “The Wizard of Oz.” The festival features parades, live music, games, food, and a variety of other activities that honor the legacy of L. Frank Baum and his famous book.
- A rich Native American history: Chittenango has a rich Native American history, with the Oneida Nation having a strong presence in the area. The Oneida Nation Cultural Center is located in the town and showcases the rich history and cultural heritage of the Oneida people.
- A thriving arts community: Chittenango is home to a thriving arts community, with local artists and artisans showcasing their work in galleries, shops, and studios throughout the town. The Chittenango Art Society hosts regular exhibitions and events that highlight the talents of local artists.
In conclusion, Chittenango is a town that has something to offer for everyone. With its stunning natural beauty, rich cultural heritage, and thriving arts community, Chittenango is a true gem in Upstate New York. Whether you are a fan of “The Wizard of Oz,” history, or the arts, there is something for you in this charming town.