Power surges happen frequently in the Syracuse area, so it’s a good idea to be prepared for something like this when it occurs. After every thunderstorm our office in Fayetteville, NY get dozens of drop off’s with hardware that has been damaged due to not properly putting in steps to prevent a power surge. Here are ten things you can do to prevent a power surge from destroying your equipment:
1. Do not use extension cords. Extension cords are one of the most common causes of power surges. They are often not properly rated for the wattage they are carrying, and can easily overheat and cause a fire.
2. Do not plug into overloaded outlets. Overloaded outlets are another common cause of power surges. When you plug too many devices into one outlet, the wiring can overheat and cause a fire.
3. Use a surge protector. A surge protector is a device that protects your electronics from damage by absorbing the excess energy from a power surge.
4. Unplug electronics when not in use. When you unplug electronics, you are preventing them from drawing power from the outlet. This can help to prevent power surges.
5. Do not use damaged cords or plugs. Damaged cords and plugs can cause power surges. If you see any damage, such as frayed wires, do not use the cord or plug.
6. Use a battery backup. A battery backup provides power to your electronics in the event of a power outage. This can help to prevent data loss and protect your electronics from damage.
7. Keep electronics away from water. Water can damage electronics. If you have any electronics near water, such as a fish tank, be sure to use a surge protector.
8. Do not use electronics in wet areas. Areas that are wet, such as bathrooms, kitchens, and laundry rooms, can damage electronics. If you must use electronics in these areas, be sure to use a surge protector.
9. Do not use electronics in extreme temperatures. Extreme temperatures can damage electronics. If you must use electronics in extreme temperatures, be sure to use a surge protector.
10. Do not use electronics near magnetic fields. Magnetic fields can damage electronics. If you are using electronics near a magnetic field, such as an MRI machine, be sure to use a surge protector.
If you think your computer may have been damaged due to a thunderstorm or power surge, contact Express Computer Service today and we can help you out!